Calvary Baptist Church of Washington was established in 1955 to minister to the needs of the people of Washington and the surrounding communities.
Calvary Baptist Church was founded in the spring of 1955 by Rev. T. Fred Wolfe under the auspices of the Broad Street Baptist Church of Washington, PA. Rev. Wolfe acted as Pastor of the new church which was a branch of the Broad Street Church. The former Gabby School was purchased from the North Franklin Township School District for the church. The church grew steadily and many improvements were made in the building including new windows and a heating system.
A charter was applied for and presented to the Court of Common Pleas for approval on April 21, 1958. The Court approved the incorporation under the non-profit laws of Pennsylvania. There were 35 charter members. At that time the church affiliated with the Conservative Baptist Association. A call for a Pastor was issued and by unanimous vote, Rev. L. E. Rogers was chosen as the Pastor. He began his ministry in November 1958.
When Pastor Rogers resigned in 1959 to accept a position in Florida, Rev. Robert Franklin was called. During his ministry, a mortgage burning ceremony was held. At this time there were 50 members and five missionaries were supported by the congregation. Rev. Franklin was pastor until May 28, 1964.
having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord,
– Ephesians 2:20-21
Rev. Robert Westerburg accepted the call to assume the pastorate at this time. In 1965, approximately 11 acres were purchased on Tuttle Road (now called Ridgewood Drive) in Washington. Ground breaking services were held on June 1, 1969 with Rev. T. Fred Wolfe, Rev. Robert Westerberg, Dr. Allen Lee, and Eugene Weddle participating. United Church Structures, Inc., of Mount Clemes, Michigan secured the contract for the building of the new church. Men of the church did much of the work, including the plumbing, heating, and lighting. Estimated cost of the building was $80,000.00, not including furnishings. Bonds were sold to finance the building of the Church.
Until the new building was ready for occupancy in the fall, the congregation continued to meet in the building on Franklin Farms Road, which had been sold to Early Childhood Learning Center. Rev. Westerberg resigned as Pastor to assume the pastorate at First Baptist Church in Mifflintown on October 5, 1969.
Dr. Allen Lee served as Interim Pastor until Rev. Eugene Lancaster accepted the call as Pastor and began his ministry in 1970. The new building was dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1970 at 2:30 p.m. Rev. Lancaster served as Pastor of Calvary for 3 and 1/2 years, preaching his last service on September 2, 1973. He accepted a call to serve a church in Flint, Michigan. Dr. George Hall accepted the call to serve as Pastor on January 20, 1974. He served until 1985.
Rev. Fred McCloskey, Jr. was installed as Pastor on February 9, 1986. He is presently the Pastor of Calvary.
A bond burning ceremony was held Sunday, September 23, 1990, in the morning service, thanking God for His provision of a debt-free church and parsonage. The parsonage was built on the church property in 1975.
The 35th anniversary of the church was celebrated on April 23, 1993. A celebration dinner was held May 7, 1993. The 40th anniversary of the church was held with a morning worship service on April 19, 1998, followed by the ground breaking for the new multi-purpose room and additional classrooms. A special meal was enjoyed by all present.
The present membership is 94 with a congregation of approximately 124 attending regularly at Sunday Morning Worship Services.
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
– Philippians 1:6
As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
– Colossians 2:6-7